Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Face of the Facts


What I have learned so far is that numbers don’t do the math justice. I can hear fact after fact of malnourished or starving children, but I didn’t fully grasp what the numbers meant. This week it hit me hard. It is hard to ignore the facts when doing the surveys and hearing how the parent you are interviewing has had children actually die from malnutrition. The nutrition program here at ML was started because one child died from hunger. Mind blowing how so many children are being impacted today from one child dying. Today I actually got to help with the nutrition program today. Lexi (the nurse in charge) weighed, measured, diagnosed, and prescribed medicine to 55 children in 4 different towns. Now Lexi is a hard worker, that’s for sure. All of those 55 faces were precious, happy children. I can’t really express how hard it is when the facts began to have faces. 

No comments:

Post a Comment