Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Hurricane of Energy

Y'all, these past couple of days have been crazy! Here is a quick update of the people that have come and gone:
1) Some sweet ladies from Texas came to do a quick seminar with the women in Ivankiv. They came here to empower women of the faith and to learn the needs of the surrounding communities.
2) Richard and Vicki Nelson (old missionary friends of the Kellys that have moved back to the states) came to visit for a few days and help with the dental clinic. This couple have hearts of gold and I hope to see them again! They have such a cool story
3) Stephen came to town for two days. I should just leave it at that, but I am going to brag about my new friend. This man organizes a ministry (Mercy Trucks) that now has at least 100 Ukrainian dentists volunteering in different communities all over Ukraine each year. Stephen sets the area up the day/night before the event, helps run and organize the event all day (sometimes the event can last up to 1 week), and then cleans everything up. Some people call him an energizer bunny but I like to think of him as a hurricane of energy.
4) The dental clinic this round had 4 dentists and one hygienist set up (one dentist working in the mobil clinic and the others working in the lodge). They started seeing people at 9:00 am and finished up around 4:30-5:00; these volunteers cleaned and fixed teeth for 33 patients.

I wasn't able to attend the the seminars but I did help out with setting up and taking down the dental clinic. I did school with the girls (like we do every day) and then asked Stephen how I could help. Iwas paired with this young dentist named Angelique. I was in charge of the spit/blood sucker as she worked on people. Lets just say it was more pleasent experience than when I "helped" a dentist in Honduras....




This is Angelique (she was such a blessing to work with!!!!)

I also grabbed a pic with Vicki as she was heading out the door




No comments:

Post a Comment