Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Kitchen+Yeast Rise Up Lovely Donut Days


So after a cry fest, struggling with Spanish homework and having an all-together crappy Monday, Tuesday could not have come sooner! I slept in till 10:15, put on come comfy clothes and headed for the kitchen. I love to cook here at Casa ACU. The cooks here are so positive and encouraging to be around; it was the perfect way to start a day. I am normally in charge of making the salad and dessert when I help, so today I learned how to make DONUTS. I literally know how to make lip-smackin donuts from scratch! While I helped out in the kitchen, I got to talk to Rachel, one of the cooks. She is soooo patient and kind to me! I stumbled over every sentence but she never gave up on me. Even though I know I stumbled the whole time, the cool thing is that I can tell my Spanish is improving, which was a huge joy factor today. She told me what to do in Spanish and I understood most of what she was saying without her telling me twice or repeating it in English. It was a major improvement compared to the first time I helped her. She had to write almost everything down or show me what she was talking about constatnly, which probably made her job harder rather than easier. Today however, I enjoyed lovely Spanish conversations while I worked. I even ended up even teaching her a few English words too. Who knew learning Spanish could be so fun... I guess it only happens when your in a kitchen.

Next I rushed to my room and begin to translate my very difficult Spanish homework. Part of the assignment was to write a 200 word paragraph about two people we thanked God for. This time I tried to use words I already knew instead of trying to translate it word for word. It was much easier and I did a much better job all-in-all compared to my first paragraph. Another sign of improvement in Spanish!!!! By lunch time I had more than half of the paper done, so I didn't stress about it. After a wonderful lunch ( by the way everyone loved the donuts :D), I completed the paper and ran to collect my things for Spanish class. I'm not gonna lie, I was a little nervous about class because most of the class time is spent in confusion. The walk to the Catholic university, which takes about 30 minutes, helped calm down my nerves. Class went smoothly and I actually understood the majority of what was being said.. another improvement point!!! We read two stories and had questions over one of the stories. It took me a while, but I answered all of the questions right and completely understood the whole story. Let's just say I was very excited after I left class.

I came back to my room and gave myself some needed downtime while everyone else went running or went to the gym. When they all got back, we went to a nearby grocery store and I bought some pasta to cook for dinner with some fresh veggies sometime this week. It was fun to walk with everyone and do something together. When we got back to the house, everyone stayed in the kitchen, had dinner, drank mate (I had coffee though), and talk/laugh with each other. I would definitely call today successful and completely wonderfully uplifting.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment